According to data compiled by ASCII Corporation, Pokemon Black Version and Pokemon White Version for DS and the PSP were the best selling software and hardware in Japan this year.
Pokemon Black and Pokemon White for DS sold 4.73 million units collectively in 2010, followed by Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for PSP with 3.16 million in sales.
The success of Capcom’s Monster Hunter Portable 3rd helped push the PlayStation Portable slightly ahead of the DS in 2010 – but not by much. The PSP (in various formats and including special software bundles) sold 2.73 million units in 2010, followed by the Nintendo DS (multiple SKU’s) with 2.72 million in sales.
Compared to 2009, the PSP was up by around 600,000 units, while every other platform declined. The DS took the biggest hit, with a decline of around 1 million units compared to 2009 numbers. The rest of the platforms declined by around 100,000 units or more. Full lists below:
- Pokemon Black/Pokemon White for DS – 4,734,064 units
- Monster Hunter Portable 3rd for PSP – 3,163,750 units
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii – 1,692,401 units
- Wii Party – 1,385,541 units
- Dragon Quest VI for DS – 1,354,841 units
- Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 for DS – 1,305,750 units
- Tomodachi Collection for DS – 1,112,298 units
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 for Wii – 931,534 units
- Inazuma Eleven 3 Snake/Bomber for DS – 930,580 units
- Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep for PSP – 844,980 units
- PSP: 2,729,718 units
- DS: 2,719,544 units
- Wii: 1,592,563 units
- PS3: 1,542,258 units
- 360: 231,258 units
- PS2: 83,030 units
Source: ASCII Corp.